Monday, June 09, 2008



First of all I am pleased with my performance and glad I was able to ride and support the ADA. I would like to thank all those who supported me in my efforts. And now for the report of the ride.


Well I did it and I beat my goal of under 5 hours. I completed the route in 4:34:00 min as you can see, but you will see that I also went more then the 80 miles that I was supposed to. this is because of a little mistake on my part where I took a right turn when I was supposed to take a right. I made this small oops when around 70 miles in and if I hadn't taken a minute and thought about it I would have been making the ride an extra 30 miles. That would have made for a long day especially since I would have been doing the bulk of the climbing again.
Looking at the weather it shows 86, but that is only the start of it. As I finished it was really in the 90's and the temperature still went up from there. In fact there were many people that suffered from heat exhaustion, I had a mild case myself as well as my oldest daughter. The ride went through some very beautiful areas of NJ, and if you look at the map of the route you will see where we started was the Verizon center and then made our first loop which is the big almost circle you see.
When we started out on the first loop there was a good amount of mist and fog which seemed to have a calming effect on the riders. By the time I started the second loop I was in the leading group and we were riding well and fast. And the funny thing is that on my second loop passed some of the areas I got to see new things like a big house just off to the side of the road that I missed the first time because of the fog. The second loop we took the extra little bit that extends off the first loop and then hooked back up with the lower part of the first loop. When the lower section started we were down to about 10 in the lead group and three of us were from Verizon Wireless. The hills began and they weren't bad. They would jump up and then you would get a little ride down the another jump up and so on. Even the big one was a series of small ones but then were good. After we past the rest stops (without stopping) around mile 10ish, 25ish, and 40ish I let myself get dropped from the pack on some of the steeper hills, but I caught back up at the 60 mile rest stop. After we started out again I kept up with the group again for a few miles until we hit some more hills and I just didn't feel like pushing it to hard. This is where I got separated from the group and why I was alone to make the mistake of right turn when I should have gone left. When I got back on track I kept close to another rider who had a queue sheet. When we finished and I thanked him for keeping me on the right track to finish he thanked me for pulling him in for the last 6 miles or so. Anyway life is good and I can't wait to ride again.

Activity
Route:--Elev. Avg:273 ft
Location:Basking Ridge, NJElev. Gain:+0 ft
Date:06/07/08Up/Downhill: [+5072/-5072]
Time:06:58 AMDifficulty:5.0 / 5.0
 
Weather:Partly Cloudy with Haze
 86 F temp; 65% humidity
 93 F heat index; winds SW 6
Performance

Distance: 82.87 miles
Time:4:34:06
Speed:18.1 mph
Pace:3' 19 /miHeart Rate:156 bpm (Avg)
Calories:4157189 bpm (Peak)
Map
 
Elevation (ft)
 
Speed (mph)
 

Posted from bimactive.com

No comments: